ArianeSoft - Programming and development for Windows and Windows Mobile :: Forums :: PPL - Pocket Programming Language :: Support

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
System Variable for windows path on PC / PPC ?
Moderators: kornalius, bmanske, PointOfLight
Author Post
DirectDance
Thu Jun 05 2008, 07:43am
Registered Member #11
Hi,

is there any possibility to get the path of the windows directory on a desktop-pc an pocket-pc ? On a desktop-pc it could be diffrent to windows, e.g. WINNT, etc.

On a PPC, I am not sure if this could be another name than windows.

Maybe PPL has a variable like AppPath (e.g. WinPath) ?

Thanks,
DirectDance
Nicknack
Thu Jun 05 2008, 08:38am

Registered Member #132
sry please delete

[ Edited Thu Jun 05 2008, 08:46am ]
PointOfLight
Thu Jun 05 2008, 04:31pm

Registered Member #49
GetWinDir and GetSysDir will probably be of assistance to you (both are defined in swapi.ppl).

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
http://www.polsoftware.com/
DirectDance
Fri Jun 06 2008, 04:40am
Registered Member #11
Thanks again Eric,

also this is working like a charme !

You helped me a lot.

Many thanks,
DirectDance
PointOfLight
Fri Jun 06 2008, 08:53am

Registered Member #49
Sorry to go a bit OT here, but if you don't mind me asking, what are you working on these days?

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
DirectDance
Wed Jun 11 2008, 06:33am
Registered Member #11
Hi,

sorry for the late reply, I have been a few days on a short trip

I am working (and it is almost finished) on a kind of Database Program.

It will be named BPDataPLUS (for Business-Professional database with the extra plus).

But it is not only a database program like others, it has some nice extras.

With BPDataPLUS, you can setup a database on the dekstop-pc or on the pocket-pc. On the desktop-pc, you can setup a screen size bigger than the qvga pocket pc size. If you have a database, running on a desktop pc, you can sync it to any database on the pocket pc. Like outlook contacts, but with all information you will need.

The screen in BPDataPLUS is splitted. The screen on the top is visible everytime and can only include database fields (e.g. customer number, name, etc.). The rest if the screen is a file card system with a maximum of 4 filecards.

File cards can be of type:

1. additional datafields
2. Textboxes
3. Picturebox (loading e.g. photos)
4. Drawingbox (You can paint here freehand)
5. Archivebox (upload e.g. word docs, etc.. It is a complete archive system, where you can setup categories, description, date timestamp, etc.)
6. Calendar (acesses the Outlook calendar on PPC. You can also insert new appointments, etc.)

All of those data, including all boxes can be set to sync between desktop pc and PPC.

Excellent if you are on the road. E.g. setup a customer database. Include your activities in a textbox for history and important documents like offers, calculations, into the archivebox. If you are in a business like e.g. architect, you can draw into a picturebox a draft.

Btw., setting up po datafields, all data wich will be entered into BPDataPLUS will be automaticly setup in Pocket Outlook. If you have existing Outlook contacts, you can load the automaticly into BPDataPLUS.

BPDataPLUS includes a complete calculation modul. Setup a selling database and you can calculate your sold items on one view. Print (only on screen) a list with all items sold last month. All those things can be setup by the user, but very easy.

I think, the Archivebox is very interesting. The first Archivesystem on a PPC

There are many more features. It took me almost 2 years of developement.

Cheers,
DirectDance
PointOfLight
Wed Jun 11 2008, 01:19pm

Registered Member #49
Wow, this sounds pretty sweet.  If you need any help with testing, or just want a product review after you've released it, let me know.  I do a lot of database programming, so I'm interested to see what you've come up with.

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
Mike Halliday
Wed Jun 11 2008, 03:24pm

Registered Member #671
DD, this sounds groovey.

Will it be a fixed app? IE will it be tailored to specific clients or are you releasing some sort of DB/App IDE so you can create different DBs for different clients? (Like Access VBA)?

Either way, this could very well be the first proper business app developed with PPL! (I may be wrong, but I have not seen anything else as complex as this yet!)

Editor of \'Voice of the PPL\' the newsletter for the PPL by the PPL!

Still trying to get people to contribute to the newsletter!
DirectDance
Thu Jun 12 2008, 05:05pm
Registered Member #11
Hi,

@Eric, I am very happy if you can help testing this one. Many thanks for the offer. I will need a few days / weeks (it is hard to calculate at the moment because I have a lovely 3 month old daughter now and she is the most important girl in my life ). Next problem is, at the moment I develop it using PPL 1.32 wich has no internet registration check. That version had the memory leaks and my program crashes if to many windows are processed. Hopefully it will run on the latest version of PPL without any problems. I have to check this first.

But for the moment, I have attached a pdf file, showing first screenshoots and some explanations. It is only a draft at the moment. It is my draft for a commercial in future.

@Mike, it will be an app for itself, but has Import and Export options. It is an easy one to import any kind of data into BPDataPLUS. And if you import contacts into a BPDataPLUS contact database (with poom datafields), you are able to push all data into the Pocket Outlook Contacts. It has so many functions, e.g. export all PO-contacts, PO-calendar items, etc.
But I am planning for a later version a for free viewer for databases wich were created with BPDataPLUS. But first of all, after so many month, I have to check what the public will say to a product like this.

Cheers,
DirectDance
1213304731_11_FT9587_bpdataplus.zip
Mike Halliday
Fri Jun 13 2008, 02:01am

Registered Member #671
Very interesting - The screen shots look good.

I have a few more questions;

Do you have any shots of this running on a Pocket PC? Would be interesting to see how you have got round the screen size limitations.

I notice the synch menu option... this is like active sync right? does it allow over the air synchronisation or is it cabled sync only?

On the PPC you say that printing output is shown in a box, this may get restrictive if you have a lot of info to show. Have you thought about the option to allow blue tooth printing maybe? (People with HP Ipaqs etc have the 'mobile printing' option installed that allows over the air printing)

The free viewer sounds a great idea. Will this allow me to create the database on the PC, then send it to my fleet of pocket PC users along with the runtime/viewer so they can use the database in the field? In which case, will the viewer allow for synchronisation. What I'm asking I suppose is that will the viewer do eveything the creator does except for allowing the creation of new databases (Sync and print etc)

Sorry for so many questions but I'm trying to get an angle on what you have here - Currently it looks like everything that Pocket Access should have been - THe idea of a forms based DB system for the PPC is great.

Keep up the good work and keep us posted on its completion. - I would love to do a feature on it in a newsletter some time

Mike.

Editor of \'Voice of the PPL\' the newsletter for the PPL by the PPL!

Still trying to get people to contribute to the newsletter!
DirectDance
Fri Jun 13 2008, 07:41am
Registered Member #11
Hi Mike,

I do not have any screenshoots from the PPC at the moment. I even do not have a program for doing this

The screen I used for the PPC size is exactly the same as you can see on the desktop-pc screen shoots. BPDataPLUS is disabling the Status bar on the top of the PPC screen. Of course, there is a knob build in to enable the first line to change to a diffrent program. The difference when you setup a new database on the PPC is, that not the selection bar with all fields on the right is displayed, instead, you have to tap into the screen. After this, BPDataPLUS is asking wich kind of datafield should be set. The rest is equal to the desktop-pc version. As told before, you can also setup bigger screen size projects on the Desktop-PC, but of course, those ones are only usable on the desktop-pc but can be synced with a smaller version on the PPC.

I think, this is perfect for most smaller business people because at their office (or home office) they would like to have all infos about customers or products (BPData is not only for setting up customer databases), and the most important infos to carry outside using the PPC. For business purposes I have written a special datafield (can be set like all other datafields), named Appointment. An Appointment datafield is looking into the calendar for assigned appointments. E.g. if you load a contact into BPDataPLUS, and that contact is or was assigned to an appointment in your calendar, BPDataPLUS will show on one view the next appointment you have with this customer and by clicking it, it displays a history of all appointments with that contact. That is what I mean with many more ..., BPDataPLUS is full of those nice small things.

In the Sync Menu you must first assign two projects to get in sync. If both projects are the same, BPDataPLUS recognizes it and will set all data fields and boxes to sync mode. If not, you can choose a datafield from the desktop pc project and then assign it to a datafield on the PPC project. The same, if existant, with the boxes data. The big advantage doing it this wa is, if e.g. only an adress information is changed on the PPC, on the next sync only the adress datafield is changed. All other datafields on the Desktop-Pc belonging to that record wont be changed. Of course, deleting a record on the PPC (or Desktop-PC) will delete it on the other side, too on the next sync. It is cabled sync at the moment, but nice idea over the air

Re Printing, the result is not wordwrapped (or how is it called when a line is not going into the next, you have to scroll to the right instead.). Of course the size is limited because of the display but you can scroll left/right and down/up if necessary. On the PPC, hopefully nobody will generate a list including 20.000 lines ... who should read it

It is a very nice feature if e.g. print a list with all customers in this town to phone them for getting dates. Btw., if you have a contacts databse including phonenumbers, emails, etc. you can write emails or phone them directly using BPDataPLUS. The same, if you have e.g. setup an internet datafield. If it is filledwith a valid adress, you cann start that site by pressing one knob. Another example for the printing could be a product database, print a list from a price range from-to, to tell the customer, Ok, we have 10 similar products for that price, etc.

I have no plans for a real print at the moment.

I can not tell much about my plans for that free viewer at the moment. I first have to finish the main project.

One main goal for this project was, that a novice user could setup a database for himself without big knowledge about databses themselfes.

But ..., it is also interesting for people who do have knowledge. One hidden feature is e.g. you can parameterisize how BPDataPLUS should handle the database internally. Those are options like "Numeric search exact" / "Numeric Search same and Greater" / "Alpha Search Exact" / "Alpha Search Same and Greater" / "Alpha Search Full Query", Also you can set a number of rows wich BPDataPLUS is allowed to load at once. That does not mean, that you will only see e.g. 500 rows because that is the limit, BPDataPLUS is organizing it internally to load rows in blocks of 500. If you have a PPC with much memory, you could set this value up, wich results in faster loading. And the opposite for older devices. I have experimented with a database sized of about 11 MB and it was handeled very fast on the PPC.

The more I write, the details are opend. As you can see, in the two years, many ideas went into this prog. But in my main job, I have to do with databases and also with supporting our shopsoftware wich has a complete MIS and an archivesystem. But those systems are much more expensive

DirectDance

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF