ArianeSoft - Programming and development for Windows and Windows Mobile :: Forums :: PPL - Pocket Programming Language :: General

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
GUIDE TO LEARNING PPL PROGRAMMING
Moderators: kornalius, bmanske, PointOfLight
Author Post
Lewis T. Ford III
Sat May 10 2008, 10:59am

Registered Member #992
I've been looking for books to teach me how to program using PPL (for beginners) , with no luck. I've found one website: http://ihtc.blogspot.com/2007/11/tutorial-1-hello-world.html

This website has useful information for beginners but I need .pdf documents , word documents , books or websites for beginners.

i made the above website into a .pdf document.

HELP!!!!!!!!!

[ Edited Sat May 10 2008, 07:47pm ]
Mike Halliday
Sat May 10 2008, 01:34pm

Registered Member #671
Have you checked out the pages in the 'tutorials' section of the 'support' tab? that has a pretty good set of programming examples and explanations. Also there is the newsletter which covers tutorials.

Asking questions on the forum is also another good way for beginners to get to grips with PPL - We are all here to help as much as we can!

There has been talk of a book for some time. I myself would love to comple one, but time constraints and costs are too great to commit more than a few hours a week at it.

I doubt there will be a commercial book release for a very long time. Until then, just keep asking your questions and they will get answered.

Editor of \'Voice of the PPL\' the newsletter for the PPL by the PPL!

Still trying to get people to contribute to the newsletter!
kornalius
Mon May 12 2008, 12:58pm

Registered Member #1
There will be a commercial book published by Addison Weisley coming out by the end of the year in Germany (in German). If enough copies are sold, there might be an English version.

The blog entries looks like straight copies of our tutorials.

Regards,
Alain Deschenes
President and programmer
ArianeSoft Inc. (http://www.arianesoft.ca)
zehlein
Mon May 12 2008, 01:52pm

Registered Member #30
Could you provide us with a link, Alain!?

There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. (L. Cohen)
Mike Halliday
Mon May 12 2008, 04:06pm

Registered Member #671
Wow, a book on PPL - excellent news Alain. Now ... can I learn German in less than 12 months??? rofl.

I hope there is an english version!!!

zehlein
Mon May 12 2008, 04:46pm

Registered Member #30
Hehe, it took me my whole life and sometimes I'm afraid it will event take what is left of it *grin*

There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. (L. Cohen)
Lewis T. Ford III
Tue May 13 2008, 01:54am

Registered Member #992
I have looked at the examples , and they were good ones and would be helpful if I knew sometimes what I was looking at. I am a beginner and I still need more.
I sent a pm to Mike Halliday and he was very helpful but I still need to know if I need to study C,Vb or what. I look at some of the commands in the source code like:
showmessage,proc etc. some look just like C. I quess I'm saying if I learn C or VB will this training seamlessly carry over to PPL as far as commands and the way things are done. As I explained to Mike Halliday I have a book on VB and I was hoping I could read this in the mean time and carry over to PPL as if I had been using it for a long time or the same with C. I also hope they have an English version of a PPL book soon. I appreciate all the help. If there are commands or anything specific to ppl source code only please let me know ,again such as showmessage etc. Thanks again to everyone who has helped.

[ Edited Tue May 13 2008, 02:15am ]
Mike Halliday
Tue May 13 2008, 08:19am

Registered Member #671
Lewis,

When I picked up PPL, I had not programmed for about 10 years. I was really daunted by the C style procedures and structures of PPL (I had never even seem GAMEAPI stuff before), but one I scanned through the demos and examples it became clear that there is not much difference between PPL and either VB, basic or C. This made it fairly easy for me to pick up programming again.

Printing out some of the examples helped me, as I wrote notes next to the code for future reference.

Once you start disecting the examples and going through them from start to finish, PPL will become easier to understand.

If you still need help, PM me with specific questions and I will help as much as I can.

Lewis T. Ford III
Wed May 14 2008, 01:36am

Registered Member #992
Thanks, I will not only try looking at some of the examples but going through my Visual Basic book and maybe a C book if I think I need it. I want to get as good as all of you,and I feel with your help I should get there quickly. Thanks again for all your help. I hope this has given other beginners help as well.
Lewis T. Ford III
Sat May 31 2008, 08:31pm

Registered Member #992
I have started to study C and in the front of the book is a list of commands used in C and what they mean and how they are used , I need to know if there is a list of commands specific to PPL and what they mean/how they are used. This is also so I can make comparisons to C commands. I will look in the forums in the mean time but if someone could give me any commands that are not used in C or VB that are only used in PPL this would help me a lot. Thanks.
jdixon
Thu Jun 05 2008, 11:24am
Registered Member #1001
go to download - support files there is a pdf file about 243 pages. That mabe what you are looking for. I am at the same spot trying to learn it all.
zehlein
Thu Jun 05 2008, 01:09pm

Registered Member #30
This PDF file is just the online help you get hitting F1 in PIDE and I bet it is a little bit outdated too....

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF