ArianeSoft - Programming and development for Windows and Windows Mobile :: Forums :: PPL - Pocket Programming Language :: Made with PPL

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Just to prove it can be done!
Moderators: kornalius, bmanske, PointOfLight
Author Post
Mike Halliday
Sat Nov 03 2007, 06:26am

Registered Member #671
Following on from my RANT about not sharing code or doing OLDSKOOL demos in PPL, I am releasing my attempt at re-creating those great Amiga and ST demos of the early 90's.

No source code as I want to see your submissions first. - If you are inspired by this PLEASE have a go yourself and upload a compiled version of your demo.

If you need help with any bits of it, drop me a line and I will try and help.

As a hint, check out how I did the animations - Lateral thinking to get round some speed and GFX limitations!

Enjoy

[MIKE]

Rate it out of 10 so I know if you like it or not!
1194085567_671_FT0_oldskool.zip

Editor of \'Voice of the PPL\' the newsletter for the PPL by the PPL!

Still trying to get people to contribute to the newsletter!
Donone
Sat Nov 03 2007, 12:06pm
Registered Member #231
That, Mike, was brilliant. I loved it and it brought a smile, nay, a grin to my face. I never had those particular machines, too late for me, but I recognise.

I must say you have a very good natured 'infectiousness' about you, unfortunately I don't have the time to take up your challenge, even though I am 'infected' with your enthusiasm.
Keep it up until I do have time. I could learn a lot from your techniques, but mostly from 'getting out of the rut' of traditional programming.
Excellent job.

You only stop learning when you die.
Sometimes I think I am dead
http://www.don-simmonds.co.uk
Mike Halliday
Sat Nov 03 2007, 01:24pm

Registered Member #671
Oh good, it worked then!

Andrew Beery
Sat Nov 03 2007, 02:45pm

Registered Member #10
Ah... twas nice to see some of my old friends in action again... I had the 2d Amiga to hit the town of Milwaukee in the 80's (as well as several 520/1024 STs, Fat Macs and various C64/128 machines) Unfortunatey your demo invoked a less favoriable memory as well... that of Guru Mediatation... I had to reboot my Vista machine in order to kill your demo... still all in all I enjoyed the retro experience... thanks! [BTW-- I do post code samples e.g. "phone libraries" et al but keep pushing people to contribute!!!]

Let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth -- 1 John 3:18
Mike Halliday
Sat Nov 03 2007, 02:54pm

Registered Member #671
Thanks for the comments Andrew. - I have some more ideas for old style demos etc. Keep watching

Rant not pointed at specific people, and there are people like yourself who contribute with very useful code. (Keep it coming)

As for rebooting your Vista PC to kill the demo - That is strange - My Vista laptop closes the demo down fine without a reboot.

I have just run it again too and Vista behaved itself. (I have turned UAC off though so it could be something to do with that!).

[Mike]

Andrew Beery
Sat Nov 03 2007, 07:15pm

Registered Member #10
My issue was more likely due to Synergy managing mouse and keyboard across four computers... hung Synergy which limited me to one computer's keyboard and mouse (I hate it when that happens!)

Let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth -- 1 John 3:18
PointOfLight
Sat Nov 03 2007, 09:57pm

Registered Member #49
This was kewl!  I have a couple things planned myself in terms of code sharing, but my biggest problem right now is everything else I have to do   If I could just quit my day job life would be grand!

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
http://www.polsoftware.com/
Mike Halliday
Sun Nov 04 2007, 05:32am

Registered Member #671
I know the feeling - I try and get a few hours coding a night in, as long as its not too much time my wife does not mind.

I have installed PPL trial on a works PC to draft some code whilst on my lunch - that I find saves time.

Mike Halliday
Mon Nov 05 2007, 02:05am

Registered Member #671
Hmmm, I think the code needs loads of optimising. - I have just compiled for PPC and tried it on my smartphone...

Well ... It runs (sorry crawls) along about about 1 frame every 5 seconds. LMAO. - My smartphone only has a 195mhz OMAP CPU so I hope that it the issue.

I have included the 2003/WM5 image for you all to try. Let me know if it is actually useable.

The screen has NOT been rotated to landscape yet so you will only get 3/4 of the demo displayed!

[Mike]
1194246308_671_FT7550_oldskool_wm2003.zip

Mike Halliday
Mon Nov 05 2007, 02:06am

Registered Member #671
You will of course need to copy the folders included with the PC version to your pda/phone before running!

[just incase you were wondering]

Mike Halliday
Sat Nov 24 2007, 05:32am

Registered Member #671
Continuing the OLDSKOOL theme, I have just taken delivery of an old (1995) DELL PS/2 Clicky keyboard and PS/2 to USB adapter!!! Woo Hoo.

Proper feedback from the keys - No cheap squishy membrane here!!!

Gonna make my coding experience all the more pleasurable.

AND 'TRUE OLDSKOOL'! ha ha ha

Nicknack
Sat Nov 24 2007, 07:22am

Registered Member #132
here is my inspired version of a demo, not as complex as yours , but completly "crafted" on the ppc thus, how good am I in creating oldskool-like?
1195906925_132_FT7550_ballscan.zip
Mike Halliday
Sun Nov 25 2007, 04:14am

Registered Member #671
YEY - Its started - OldSkool demos. ha ha

Thanks NickNack, that brought a smile to my face. You have done well especially as it was done on a PPC.

I like the blending of the squares when they move over each other.

Well done. - A fine attempt.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF