ArianeSoft - Programming and development for Windows and Windows Mobile :: Forums :: PPL - Pocket Programming Language :: Made with PPL

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
Chinese Flashcards 1.0 (Study Chinese Characters)
Moderators: kornalius, bmanske, PointOfLight
Author Post
Kevin Johnson
Tue Aug 07 2007, 04:01pm
Registered Member #556
This is a program that i just finished porting to PPL. It's very good for studying chinese characters on the go, or if your stuck on a train or plane and have nothing better to do than to listen to some music and study.

Here are the functions of my flashcard program:

1. load any flashcard datafile (CSV format)
2. display the number of flashcards before the study session starts
3. keep track of correct and incorrect answers
4. display the final score at the end of the study sessioin

Things left to do:
1. Optionaly save the wrong answers to a new datafile so that only the wrong answers may be studied in a future study session
2. Make sure the text is centered in the textboxes (makes it look more professional)
3. Integrate a Flashcard Datafile editor/creator into the main application
4. Take requests to add more functions ^.^
1186516871_556_FT0_chinese_flashcards.zip

[ Edited Tue Aug 07 2007, 04:03pm ]
kornalius
Tue Aug 07 2007, 04:46pm

Registered Member #1
Thank you for sharing Kevin. I wish I had time to learn chinese!

Regards,
Alain Deschenes
President and programmer
ArianeSoft Inc. (http://www.arianesoft.ca)
Kevin Johnson
Wed Aug 08 2007, 12:37am
Registered Member #556
No problem. Thanks for all the help
I think that by the time i finish off this project, and port a couple other programs of mine to PLL, i'll be fairly proficient at using PLL. Each time i learn something new.
PointOfLight
Thu Aug 09 2007, 12:54am

Registered Member #49
I tried running this, but I got an Access Violation error on RunFileEx.  I take it you're calling another PPL program within this one?

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
http://www.polsoftware.com/
Kevin Johnson
Thu Aug 09 2007, 12:29pm
Registered Member #556
It shouldn't be.....
i compressed the same files that i used to run on my PC. The PPC file was compile for the windows platform, so if you try to run on WM, maybe it will give you an error. I included my source though. It's the Autorun.pll file.
I haven't encountered any bugs in the program like that so far. Though i have found that if the program tries to parse a datafile that has non-standard characters in it, that the OS doesn't know how to handle. It will lock up the program. However, i think this has to do with how the StringToList$ function works.
I noticed that when i corrected the non-standard characters with a text editor on my mobile phone, and then saved it as Unicode text, then there aren't any problems loading the file. Oddly enough, if i save the file as a unicode file from a PC, then it still doesn't work. Strange....
The easiest solution to this would be to write a datafile creation tool that runs on my phone. This will be the next step in my project's development. I'm planning to integrate the flashcard program and the datafile creation tool into the same application. That should fix the problems that i'm having so far.
PointOfLight
Thu Aug 09 2007, 02:39pm

Registered Member #49
Is the autorun.ppl supposed to be in the .zip file that's attached to this thread? All that's in that file is a .ppc file, and I can't get it to run on either the PC or PPC (I have PPL fully installed on both machines).

[Edit]

What should happen when I run the application?  Will I get a dialog prompting me for a flash card file?  It does appear to be trying to run it on my Pocket PC, but nothing ever displays.

[ Edited Thu Aug 09 2007, 04:56pm ]

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
Kevin Johnson
Thu Aug 09 2007, 08:03pm
Registered Member #556
It should be displaying a form very quickly, and then giveing you a dialogue box propting you for a CSV file.
What kind of mobile phone do you have, and it's OS revision number? I'm using WM2005.
I can run it on my PC without any problems, so it is difficult to find the error. Another thing i am curious about is - does your computer and mobile phone have chinese language support? This also may be part of the problem.
PointOfLight
Fri Aug 10 2007, 09:18am

Registered Member #49
I'm actually just running a Pocket PC, not a mobile phone.  However, I would venture to say that it doesn't have Chinese support.  How can I verify that?

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
Kevin Johnson
Fri Aug 10 2007, 02:20pm
Registered Member #556
well, i included a sample data file with the distribution file. The first record is the chinese characters. If it looks like gibberish characters, or they only show up as a bunch of square boxes, ...then you do not have chinese language support.
To add chinese support download "CE Star". CE Star is basicly an IME (input method editor) for the PocketPC.
PointOfLight
Fri Aug 10 2007, 04:23pm

Registered Member #49
Is this something that's going to be freely available?  If so, is it available yet?  To be honest I'm not real big on learning Chinese right now, simply because like Alain I just don't have the time.  However, I love checking out applications that were written in PPL.  Is this something that could basically be used with any language?

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
Kevin Johnson
Mon Aug 13 2007, 02:20pm
Registered Member #556
i'm planning for it to be free
Kevin Johnson
Fri Sep 14 2007, 06:35am
Registered Member #556
It's been a while since i have posted to this thread of mine...however, i have a very important update.
As you know, that i had some datafiles that were not being displayed properly, and sometimes locking up my mobile phone (forcing me to soft-reset). However, i recently discovered the cause of this problem.
When you send the data file which has chinese characters in it to the mobile device, you must not use activesynch to do it. You actually need to use a SD card reader directly. It seems that if there are any non-standard characters or anything that looks a little odd, activsynch converts it to something it likes and then sends it through to the mobile device.
So, finally no more problem when doing this now. However, i think that if you don't have a card reader to do this directly, you can compress the data file into a .zip archive and then send it through active synch. I haven't tested this idea, but it would be the only other option that i'm aware of.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF