Moderators: kornalius, bmanske, PointOfLight
Author Post
x_JoM_x
Wed Jun 04 2008, 11:58pm
Registered Member #698
I am getting quite frustrated right now, I have been searching the forums and found no solution.
I installed PPL 1.51 on a newly installed WinXP computer. I created a new blank project, file -> new code and saved as main.ppl on a directory

upon typing the first line, this appears
Image: http://vhangell.syxe.com/311.JPG
then many violation errors

I have read the french section for something about a 'crack' on the PPL, that produces error#311. But I have not done any cracking. I am just testing the 1.51 version on this newly installed pc. Please help as I can not start.

Edit: Is this because I have linux on my pc? and PPL runs on top of winxp sp3 on vmware? does vmware affect ppl? 1.42 works fine except for 1.50 and 1.51. please advice

[ Edited Mon Jun 09 2008, 09:40pm ]

Simply the BEST!
PointOfLight
Thu Jun 05 2008, 04:29pm

Registered Member #49
Have you tried any of the samples that come with PPL to see if they work?  XP shouldn't be the problem, as I'm sure a good number of us run on that platform.  I suppose it could be VMWare causing the issue.  I know of the program, but have never used it.

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
http://www.polsoftware.com/
x_JoM_x
Thu Jun 05 2008, 07:07pm
Registered Member #698
I have tried the scrolling starfield ver2 (it needs the pro version). it does not work on v1.51 v1.50. I think the problem is that, It does not register the runtimes correctly, although it says successful -> still runtime is 1.51 lite

but on 1.42 below, it works... probably something is broken on 1.5x releases..
anyways Ill settle with 1.42 just to begin with game I am working on. thanks for the reply PoL

Simply the BEST!
PointOfLight
Thu Jun 05 2008, 08:07pm

Registered Member #49
Check and make sure the PPL.exe is not read only.  As part of the registration process it has to "rewrite" the executable, and if it's read only it can't do that.

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
x_JoM_x
Thu Jun 05 2008, 09:34pm
Registered Member #698
I have checked the file attributes for the executable files and other files.. Read-only has not been set, so I guess file attributes is not a problem for this. Any other suggestions?

Will there be a linux release?

Simply the BEST!
Mike Halliday
Fri Jun 06 2008, 01:12pm

Registered Member #671
There should be no reason why XP under VMWare functions any different than on dedicated hardware.

You could check the permissons on the folder where PPL.exe lives. The everyone user should have read/write access. - This could be something to do with Linux being the HOST OS. Have you tried any other XP application to make sure that your XP install is valid? IS your XP genuine? I know that some cracked versions of it don't perform well under VMWare.

Just a few thoughts.

Editor of \'Voice of the PPL\' the newsletter for the PPL by the PPL!

Still trying to get people to contribute to the newsletter!
x_JoM_x
Fri Jun 06 2008, 09:48pm
Registered Member #698
i have a licensed xp sp2. I just updated to sp3. Anyways my problem is with v1.5x but for 1.42 below. Its working fine. So im using the 1.42, I guess i'll buy the v2 when it will be released.

OT:
below is an image of a sprite that has 4 frames...
[][][][] <- sprite 1 with 4 frames

I can use it to make a simple animation.

My question is, Is it possible to collate all my sprites into 1 bigger file say,
[][][][] <- sprite 1 with 4 frames
[][][][] <- sprite 2 with 4 frames
[][][][] <- sprite 3 with 4 frames
[][][][] <- sprite 4 with 4 frames

This way I have only 1 file instead of 4 separate files, also the file size is now smaller than 4 files. (Code-wise) How can I select from the images the ones I will use for animation, say animation for sprite 3. OR can I only use the above (4x4 matrix) file for choosing a single frame as image for my sprite without animation? I got the idea somewhere on the forum, I think it was posted by Mike.

Simply the BEST!
Mike Halliday
Sun Jun 08 2008, 03:40am

Registered Member #671
Hi,

No offence intended (with the XP comment) - Just with you being a Linux user I had to ask! - Did you try the directory permissions? I would imagine V2 will do the same as V1.5x, so yo may be stuck with using 1.42!

Is it possible for you to attach your images instead of pasting them into the question? That way we wlll get to see them.

You can combine all your files into 1 by using the 'package' command set. Search the help and the forum for examples of this. I personally have not tried it, but others have and it seems to work really well. (Is this what you mean)?

DominiqueB
Sun Jun 08 2008, 09:53am
Registered Member #1022
Hello,
i'm a registred Vista home premium user.
I've had the same problem as reported !
Each prog i tried to compile reported the same error code !
Th error code was automaticaly added to the end of the source code that was edited !
I was quite ungry with it.
I finaly bought a license for PPL pro and . . .
All i working ok now, i don't have any 311 code now, whatever the sample i try to compile, all are ok now !
Perhaps the problem has to be linked to the ontrol of license . . .???

Dominique

Dominique
kornalius
Sun Jun 08 2008, 04:20pm

Registered Member #1
x_JoM_x, please contact us via email with your purchase order number, we will try to look into it with you.

Regards,
Alain Deschenes
President and programmer
ArianeSoft Inc. (http://www.arianesoft.ca)
PointOfLight
Mon Jun 09 2008, 09:08am

Registered Member #49
x_JoM_x, you can combine the images into one if you want.  To set the frames to use for a particular sprite, use SetSpriteFrames.  If you want to set a single frame and no animation, do SetSpriteAnimSpeed to set the sprite's animation speed to 0, and then do SetSpriteIndex to change pick the frame you wish to use.  Remember that frames are 0 based for indexes.

However, I'm not sure that memory-wise this is the best solution, because I think each sprite will consume memory equivalent to the size of the image, so you'll be wasting memory that way.

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
x_JoM_x
Mon Jun 09 2008, 09:37pm
Registered Member #698
I am currently using the 1.42 version.

@Mike,PoL
thanks for the reply, here is the pic that i would use in sprite animation. If it would be using more memory, then I guess I would resort to a separate file per sprite.

Separate image file per sprite (single file):

Image: ../../e107_files/public/ 1213061834_698_FT9585_pr_col.gif

Combin ed images for different sprites (single file):

Image: ../../e107_files/public/ 1213061834_698_FT9585_bluchips.gif

[ Edited Wed Jun 11 2008, 07:56pm ]

Simply the BEST!
stevenp
Tue Jun 10 2008, 12:53am
Registered Member #1024
I downloaded the trial version and tried running it in WinXP SP2 in a Virtual Machine (VMWare Fusion) and I got the same error as x_JoM_x. In fact, none of the samples work.
PointOfLight
Tue Jun 10 2008, 03:14am

Registered Member #49
x_JoM_x, you might want to start a new thread about your sprite questions if you still have any, since this dual thread might get too confusing.  However, I will tell you that your combined sprite configuration won't work.  The image has to be one row, with however many images it takes to do what you need.  In other words, instead of:

XXXX
YYYY

it needs to be:

XXXXYYYY

As for the memory thing, another solution might be to load the image into a surface, and then use SetSpriteSurface to assign the image to each sprite.  According to the help file, each sprite will then use that one surface, instead of creating a copy of the surface for each sprite, which will save you a lot of memory in the long run.  That would then make more sense to use the one image instead of several.  Check out SetSpriteSurface in the help file.

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
x_JoM_x
Tue Jun 10 2008, 05:12am
Registered Member #698
thanks PoL, sorry bout the side topic. Im reading the help file now..
I think the best solution for the main problem in this thread is to use a registered version instead of trial as stated by DominiqueB.

Simply the BEST!
kornalius
Tue Jun 10 2008, 11:58am

Registered Member #1
x_Jom_x, I find it strange that are using the Trial since October 2007? We will have restrict the support if you cannot prove to us that you are using a legit copy of PPL. The Pro features are only available in the Trial (30 days) and Pro version. You are getting this 311 error because you are trying to either reset the Trial period or use some other method to crack PPL. Sorry.

Regards,
Alain Deschenes
President and programmer
ArianeSoft Inc. (http://www.arianesoft.ca)
DominiqueB
Tue Jun 10 2008, 01:34pm
Registered Member #1022
Hello,
i can promise that i received this error code 311, and never changed the date nor tried to crack ppl !

All i know is that since i registred the pro release, i didn't saw this error code anymore . . .

Dominique
stevenp
Wed Jun 11 2008, 10:44am
Registered Member #1024
As I said, I am getting the same error code 311. I am using the trial version I downloaded form this website. I am unable to try any of the examples.
PointOfLight
Wed Jun 11 2008, 01:46pm

Registered Member #49
Fortunately, I happen to have recently acquired a machine at work with a fairly new install of Windows XP Professional.  It has service pack 2 on it, and just a couple of other development tools.  I installed PPL 1.51 on it, and then tried saving a program and typing as suggested here.  I didn't get the error on the first few characters I typed, but as soon as I get the backspace key I got an access violation error.  Since then, I have been able to get it to error every time I start it up and try to work with a program.  In addition, one time I had to Ctrl-Alt-Delete to terminate the PIDE, and another time the error actually kicked me out of the PIDE.  On the other hand, I have two other machines (one Win2K and the other Windows XP Home) that I have been running without incident for quite some time.  I did notice that the fresh install of 1.51 automatically registered it as a pro edition for a 30 day trial, and I wonder if that has anything to do with the issues.

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
Mike Halliday
Thu Jun 12 2008, 02:16am

Registered Member #671
Eric,

I have been getting access violation using 1.51 PRO! - I just thought it was because I did not have enough ram in my development machine! - COuld it be that there is indeed an issue with 1.51.

I have run 1.51 trial in a VMWare session, registered the runtimes etc and get the access vialoation and the ERROR 311 too.

ERROR 311 appears to be inserted on the last line of the code as if the compiler knows its the LITE version (and not the PRO trial) and amends the code accordingly.

An interesting point is that if I compile the code (not running it) the compiler indicates that it is the PPL 1.51 LITE compiler.

Wonder if this is comething to do with it?

Alain: Is this an issue that is fixable?

RandyF
Thu Jun 12 2008, 05:16am
Registered Member #1027
Sorry about the other post. I was not reading earlier threads. I am also experiencing th e same problem. except, I am not using this vmware thing. My pc is using windows xp.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF