ArianeSoft - Programming and development for Windows and Windows Mobile :: Forums :: PPL - Pocket Programming Language :: Support

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
screen shots are always black
Moderators: kornalius, bmanske, PointOfLight
Author Post
Paul Robello
Wed Apr 23 2008, 02:56pm
Registered Member #964
I tried the screenshot demo on my xv6800 windows mobile6 smartphone and they always come out black. Do I have to do somthing extra?
zehlein
Wed Apr 23 2008, 04:35pm

Registered Member #30
Paul, this seems to be normal behaviour to me. If you run the demo on the desktop pc, you see the whole screen in the bitmap with the little black GAPI window in it. On the PocketPC this black GAPI area overs the whole display - so the bitmap is black too....

There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. (L. Cohen)
PointOfLight
Wed Apr 23 2008, 10:15pm

Registered Member #49
There are two things working against you in this demo.  The first, and this applies to both PC and PPC, is that the first call to GetDC uses NULL as a parameter instead of AppHandle$.  Using NULL as the parameter to GetDC tells Windows that you want the handle to the desktop itself.  That's why on the PC you get an image of not only your application but of your entire screen.  On the PPC, however, applications are by nature full screen, so that technically works, but since the GAPI window defaults to a blank black window, that's what you get for your screen shot.  If you wanted to take a screen shot just of your application, change the first call to GetDC(AppHandle$)  You also have to make sure you change the width and height variables to match the width and height of your application.

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
http://www.polsoftware.com/
Mike Halliday
Thu Apr 24 2008, 01:41am

Registered Member #671
You could always use the print screen key (on the PC anyway) or CTRL/Shift Printscreen to capture the whole screen or the current window, then paste into your favourite paint package. You will get the GAPI window and all its contents when you do this. Then you can just crop it down using your paint package.

Not sure about the PPC way of doing it though.

This is the way I get screen dumps. Most of the time the PC running the GAPI program looks and functions the same as the PPC device does.

Editor of \'Voice of the PPL\' the newsletter for the PPL by the PPL!

Still trying to get people to contribute to the newsletter!
PointOfLight
Thu Apr 24 2008, 10:00am

Registered Member #49
There are a few programs that will actually run on the PPC and let you take screen shots, but most of those don't play nice on my device (Dell Axim X5), so I can't recommend any.  You can always get a program like Pocket Controller Professional that will let you view your PocketPC on your desktop, and also allows screen shots (and video, if I'm not mistaken).  However, it would seem to me that if Paul is looking at the PPL demo then he wants to be able to generate screen shots within his application.  But, this is of course just a guess

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
Mike Halliday
Thu Apr 24 2008, 01:42pm

Registered Member #671
As usual Eric, you are right. Pocket Control Pro does everything that Paul wants to do. I have just tried it and the video recording is excellent.

.WMV format might get a bit big, but it looks like its the way forward.

PointOfLight
Thu Apr 24 2008, 03:09pm

Registered Member #49
Sorry to go off topic here, but the other thing that's really nice about PCP is the soft reset feature.  There were a couple of times that my device was completely locked (no stylus or hardware key responses), but I was able to connect my device to my PC, launch PCP, and soft reset my device.  This was really important to me, because lately every time I've tried to use the soft reset button on my device it ends up doing a hard reset instead

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
Mike Halliday
Thu Apr 24 2008, 04:01pm

Registered Member #671
It is really useful. I didn't realise that this software was available.

I can see a good use along side PPL. Presently I move backwards and forwards between laptop and PDA testing my code. To be able to run it on the device but see it on my laptop will be a great aide to development

Amazing.

(I suggest knocking this thread on the head now, otherwise Alain will be mad at us for praising other companies software! )

zehlein
Fri Apr 25 2008, 10:27am

Registered Member #30
Yes, PCP is great. There is a freeware alternative though, you might want to consider: MyMobiler.

There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. (L. Cohen)
PointOfLight
Fri Apr 25 2008, 03:20pm

Registered Member #49
That's been my worst case experience with desktop PDA control software.  If I'm not mistaken (and I could be), I think that program locked my device up such that I had to do a hard reset one time.  I just remember that it didn't get along well at all with my device.

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
zehlein
Fri Apr 25 2008, 03:36pm

Registered Member #30
I use PCP myself, so my "experience" is based on a short try-and-remove-again which went without problems for me.

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF