ArianeSoft - Programming and development for Windows and Windows Mobile :: Forums :: PPL - Pocket Programming Language :: Support

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
copy protection
Moderators: kornalius, bmanske, PointOfLight
Author Post
Heinz
Thu Jul 03 2008, 05:32am

Registered Member #114
For implementing a copy protection, on the PocketPC we can use the DeviceOwner command and create unlock codes based on its result.
Does something similar exist for the PC and mobile phones? I have seen in another forum Alains code for getting the serial of the hard drive (great job, Alain! I didn't think that that would be possible!) but I would prefer something that is less often exchanged like for example the processor ID or the MAC-address of the network card.
Is there something similar for mobile phones?

regards,
Heinz
Mike Halliday
Thu Jul 03 2008, 07:47am

Registered Member #671
Not sure there is going to be anything you can rely on. Network cards can be replaced, so can CPU's - on a smartphone this would be better as the components are not swapped out (replacing the whole device would require a re-register of the app/game anyway)

Maybe you need to find a way to read the bios of the PC - If the mainboard has to be replaced then there has been a catastrophic system failure, so everything would need re-installing anyway.

I will have a think and see if it is possible to read mac address and cpu id that works on both PC and smart device.

Editor of \'Voice of the PPL\' the newsletter for the PPL by the PPL!

Still trying to get people to contribute to the newsletter!
Mike Halliday
Thu Jul 03 2008, 08:36am

Registered Member #671
Ok, i have had a look into this and it is more tricky than i first thought.

Unfortunatly we are not able to use WIN32 API for this. We have to use WMI scripting.

This is something that I have not been able to figure out as yet. - Not sure that WMI would be available on smart phones/pda's either.

Editor of \'Voice of the PPL\' the newsletter for the PPL by the PPL!

Still trying to get people to contribute to the newsletter!

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF