ArianeSoft - Programming and development for Windows and Windows Mobile :: Forums :: PPL - Pocket Programming Language :: Code sharing

<< Previous thread | Next thread >>
PPL Database Program
Moderators: kornalius, bmanske, PointOfLight
Author Post
RichardW
Sun Jul 22 2007, 03:06pm
Registered Member #404
I have been looking for a PPC development tool and having tried several settled on PPL as the fastest and most professional of the bunch. This is not to say it was the easiest to learn. More examples would have been helpful. After acquiring an IPAQ H2210 on ebay I decided to shift my desktop MS Works files to the IPAQ using PPL to provide the same capabilites as Works. Needless to say it is a "work" in progress but at this point I have something that I believe might help newbies to PPL, providing a great many examples.

The attached work1.zip file contains the work1.prj with a readmefirst file explaining how to load and run the project via the desktop IDE. Also included is a compiled desktop application which can be run after unzip. Included are sample databases and help files. This is not the most user friendly application and assumes some familiarity with DBs and SQL requirements.

Let me know of any bugs/fixes/improvements. Edit checks etc. are basic so you could do something unforeseen and get booted out to the OS. I have had some surprises with routines working differently on the 2 platforms. Let me know how it ports to other makes of pocket PCs.

1185131057_404_FT0_work1.zip
RichardW
Sun Jul 22 2007, 03:21pm
Registered Member #404
I forgot to include the desktop executable work1pc.exe in the work1.zip file. Here it is just in case you have problems with running and compiling the source code.
1185131815_404_FT5998_work1pc.zip
RichardW
Wed Aug 01 2007, 02:05pm
Registered Member #404
The winflex.ppl module is missing a line of code which forces a repaint of the flex form after a page scroll event. To correct this add the statement
Form_Repaint(gblCurForm$);
to the end of the flexPageMove procedure.

proc flexPageMove(dir$)
..... code .....
Form_Repaint(gblCurForm$); // add to clear old stuff
end;

This will ensure that scrolling will not leave garbage on the lower parts of the forms.
kornalius
Wed Aug 01 2007, 04:11pm

Registered Member #1
Thank you Richard for the great app.

Regards,
Alain Deschenes
President and programmer
ArianeSoft Inc. (http://www.arianesoft.ca)
RichardW
Thu Aug 02 2007, 09:57am
Registered Member #404
Thanks Alain. When I have finished PPL Works I will upload it. I am working on import/export functions so users can quickly load or dump databases. Also adding field/column formatting to database and listview.

As I get more familiar with PPL I find better ways of doing things which lets me reduce/reuse routines. I cannot wait to start on game programming but my next task is to convert an Adjusted Cost Base VB6 Application to PPL so I can use my IPAQ for investment/tax tracking.
RichardW
Tue Sep 18 2007, 09:05am
Registered Member #404
Work1 version 1.3 is almost ready. Just waiting to test it under PPL 1.31 as it was developed with sqlite 2. Includes routines found in the forums and demos as well as adding many new ones - my favourite is the immediate IIF. The reporting feature will let you compose simple sql programs as well as extend the reporting options. I use SQL comments as meta commands to my report writer (only 1 command at present to illustrate how to DYI). Also improving help "system" so users can add/edit there own.
RichardW
Sun Oct 07 2007, 01:49pm
Registered Member #404
As promised here is the latest version of work1 tested under PPL 1.32 and SQLite 2.8. Check out the readme.txt after you unzip to get commentary and details on loading and using the source in the PIDE. Sample databases and language files are included. Please retain the sub-directory structure of \data and \packagefiles until you see what is under the hood. There are some items that need special handling if you use this on the PPC. When you make an exe for the desktop you must have sqllite_pc.dll in the same "work1" directory.
1191779312_404_FT5998_work.zip
RichardW
Thu Jun 26 2008, 10:02am
Registered Member #404
Here is the latest source and executable versions of Work1 tested under PPL 1.51 and SQLite 3.3.13.

Check out the readme.txt after you unzip to get commentary and details on loading and using the source in the PIDE. Same old sample databases and language files are included as with prior version. Retain the sub-directory structure of \data and \packagefiles until you see what is under the hood. There are some items that need special handling if you use this on the PPC(see readme). When you make an exe for the desktop you must have sqllite_pc.dll in the same "work1" directory.

I have uploaded the compiled programs as well (PPCs in serparate zip). Keep the exe program names as is. The main program will expect to find the appropriately named database designer depending on where you are running. The one missing component is the SQLite DLL for the PPC. You will need to include a copy of this in the PPC directory with the Work1PPC.exe program.

1214488919_404_FT5998_work1.zip
1214488919_404_FT5998_work1ppc.zip
zehlein
Fri Jun 27 2008, 08:19am

Registered Member #30
wow, richard, this is awesome. But the program crashes everytime I try to open the sample databases on the Desktop-PC.

There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. (L. Cohen)
zehlein
Fri Jun 27 2008, 08:20am

Registered Member #30
wow, richard, this is awesome. But the program crashes everytime I try to open the sample databases on the Desktop-PC!?

There is a crack, a crack in everything. That's how the light gets in. (L. Cohen)
RichardW
Fri Jun 27 2008, 09:56am
Registered Member #404
To be sure I downloaded and unzipped work1 from the forum. Then I went to the directory I extracted the files to, double clicked work1pc.exe and "Loaded" (rather than OPENed) the BudgetTest.sql file. It loaded and displayed in the gird control ok on my XP desktop.

Try loading the work1.prj in the PIDE and running from there. Even if the sql dll was missing the program should not crash.

PointOfLight
Fri Jun 27 2008, 11:14am

Registered Member #49
I hate to say it, but the program doesn't work on my machine either.  I've tried both running the executable and running inside of the PIDE.  I get an access violation either way, and when running it through the PIDE I have to actually terminate the application trough Task Manager.  I'm running Win2K Professional.

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
http://www.polsoftware.com/
RichardW
Fri Jun 27 2008, 03:46pm
Registered Member #404
did you get the access violation right away before the main form is displayed?

This is a long shot but maybe try substituting your version of sqlite_pc.dll for mine. I did get occasional ownership issues during my compiles on the desktop.
PointOfLight
Fri Jun 27 2008, 05:25pm

Registered Member #49
The access violation error came when I tried to load an .sql file, and I did try and replace your version of sqlite3_pc.dll with mine.  That unfortunately didn't help any.  I will try it again when I get home and see if it will run for me there.

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software
RichardW
Fri Jun 27 2008, 06:36pm
Registered Member #404
it would be interesting to see if you could create a simple sql database using the designer(which can be run standalone or called thru the menu of the main pgm) and then try adding and saving records thru the main program. This might pinpoint the access problems to the sqlite implementation.
PointOfLight
Sat Jun 28 2008, 11:22am

Registered Member #49
I will try your suggestion when I get back to work on Monday, but I wanted you to know that the work1 did work on my Windows XP Home setup at home.

Eric Pankoke
Founder
Point Of Light Software

Jump:     Back to top

Syndicate this thread: rss 0.92 Syndicate this thread: rss 2.0 Syndicate this thread: RDF